Addiction can take numerous forms, and there are weird ways in which people get a “high”, right from abusing substances like bath salts, flakka, Spice to mephedrone, etc. In fact, new substances keep on adding to the list of the drugs being abused, especially when certain substance is banned.
One cannot but be baffled and astounded to see some of those, which are definitely not quotidian even in the parleys of the deadliest of addicts. Here, we take a look at five such bizarre substances that addicts abuse:
- Psychoactive Toad: It is a name used for toads from which addicts derive psychoactive substances belonging to the family of bufotoxins. The skin or poison of the toads may produce psychoactive effects when ingested because it contains 5-methoxy-N, N-dimethyltryptamine (5-MeO-DMT) and bufotenin, the family of hallucinogenic tryptamines. Addicts normally milk the glands of the toad on a mirror and let it dry. When consumed orally or smoked, it produces an effect like a hallucinogenic drug, which could last up to eight hours.
- Nutmeg: Strange to have this on the list, but the spice that seemed so innocuous and adorns the kitchen racks is also classified as a hallucinogenic material. In the United States, it is mostly used as a spice but there are several other uses as well, the most significant being a substance of abuse. Addicts swallow a spoonful of it or mix it with a drink and gulp. Hallucinations caused due to this can stay for up to seven hours. At times, minor effects can remain up to 72 hours.
- Scopolamine: The drug, when abused, gives the effects of a hallucinogen. Addicts who abuse scopolamine obtain it from plants like henbane, jimson weed, angel’s trumpets, etc. It is usually found in certain medicines for treating motion sickness, gastrointestinal spasms, and irritable bowel syndrome. People can overdose and chance is high of an addiction too.
- Jenkem: This is perhaps the most bizarre drug, but its existence can be a rumor also. So far, no case of jenkem abuse has been reported in America. Supposedly, the addict inhales the methane that emanates from human feces and urine. Those addicted to it are said to get a high by sniffing profusely.
- Freon: It is reported to be one of the worst highs one can derive. It is the same Freon which is found in air conditioners. It is capable of producing hallucinations. The addicts release the safety valve on the air conditioner and collect the released Freon in a bag. They then directly inhale it from the bag. It is classified as an inhalant and people get a significant high which lasts for several hours.
Getting rid of addiction
Addiction takes a toll on not only the addict but also on his family and friends. But freedom from addiction is possible with the right treatment intervention and at the earliest. There are many treatment programs available around us, some of which are really effective. The natural assisted detox program, which comprises neurotransmitter restoration therapy or NTR therapy and nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide therapy or NAD therapy, is also highly successful.